Public Transport Research and Advocacy Project, pt4me2
In early 2007 Cr. Janet Rice, as Chair of the Metropolitan Transport Forum (MTF), invited all metropolitan councils to participate in a research and advocacy project aimed to promote public transport throughout the metropolitan area.
The project has carried out the following:
- commissioned research into the relationship between transport and greenhouse gas emissions inAustraliaand means of abatement
- established a website http://www.pt4me2.org.au/which comprises the electronic tools of the communication element of the project, complete with blog, my space, you tube, website and email list.
- publicised the project by taking a stall at the Sustainable Living Festival at which it received a good public response.
- initiated a series of corridor-based campaigns for Doncaster Rail, PT in the West and Rowville Rail. These were carried out in conjunction with the relevant councils and community interest groups
- developed a Melbourne Transport Plan based on a synthesis of the project's material and supporting the case for greater investment in public transport by the Victorian Government