Welcome to the Metropolitan Transport Forum
The Metropolitan Transport Forum (MTF) is an advocacy group comprising members from Melbourne metropolitan local government, associate members representing transport companies, and participants from the State Government and environment groups.
MTF Executive for 2018
The MTF Officer Bearers and Executive for 2018 (as elected at the February meeting) are as follows:
Chair: Cr Martin Zakharov (City of Maribyrnong)
Deputy Chair: Cr Tom Melican (City of Banyule)
Treasurer: Cr. Jackie Fristacky (City of Yarra)
Secretary: Paul Hamilton (City of Casey)
Cr Jonathan Marsden (City of Hobsons Bay)
Cr Paul McLeish (City of Manningham)
Cr Andrea Surace (City of Moonee Valley)
Clare Davey (City of Boroondara)
The MTF welcomes Cr Jonathan Marsden and Cr Andrea Surace, and thanks retiring member Cr Andrew Munroe. Cr Clarke Martin has been coopted to the Executive for 2018.
Meetings in 2018 - dates are as follows
- Wednesday 7th February: Gillian Miles, Transport for Victoria
- Wednesday 7th March: Jeremy Hanlin, Active Transport Unit, Monica Morona, Mobike
- Wednesday 4th April: John Hearsch, Rail Futures Institute, Future rail in Melbourne
- Wednesday 2nd May: James Semple, City of Brimbank, Buses and bus operations in Sydney
- Wednesday 6th June: Marion Terrill, Grattan Institute, Congestion
- Wednesday 4th July: City of Manningham, Bus Rapid Transit
- Wednesday 1st August: Michel Masson, Infrastructure Victoria
- Wednesday 5th September: KerryThompson, Municipal Association of Victoria
- Wednesday 3rd October: VicRoads & TfV, Autonomous Vehicles
- Wednesday 7th November: City of Yarra, 30 kph speed limit
- Wednesday 5th December: Greg Day, Edunity, transport forums and election policy
- stimulate transport debate prior to the state election by developing a series of Council-based transport forums providing opportunity for the community to debate local transport issues with candidates
- a priority focus on buses.
MTF event Bus Matters
As a lead event for the MTF bus advocacy program for 2017/2018 the MTF hosted a forum on Tuesday 31st October 2017 focussing on what can be done to help buses play a greater role in the local transport mix. An interesting line up of speakers provided valuable insight into the bus sector as follows:
- Professor Graham Currie, Monash University,
- Dr Chris Lowe, Bus Association of Victoria
- Rene Lalabande, Transdev (international transport operator managing a large sector of Melbourne's buses)
- Dr Elliot Fishman, Institute of Sensible Transport
- David Silvester, Chris Loader, Transport for Victoria
The Metropolitan Transport Forum (MTF) is an advocacy group
comprising members from Melbourne metropolitan local government,
associate members representing transport companies, and participants
from the State Government and environment groups.
The MTF endeavours to promote effective, efficient and equitable transport in metropolitan Melbourne and improved transport choices by
- providing a forum for debate among members of the transport sector
- encouraging information sharing among member local governments
- representing local government viewpoint to decision makers
- fostering and sponsoring research on occasion
- seeking to influence transport policy and project implementation in the broader metropolitan interest
- working with local government counterparts
- enabling networking and collaboration between local and state government
- disseminating information on transport topics.
The MTF holds a regular monthly meeting on the first Wednesday of the month which includes a presentation on a transport topic of interest and relevance to local governments. Meetings are open to all, please contact email@example.com if interested to attend.