Coming meeting Wednesday July 1st
Regional Rail LInk which opened for trains on Sunday June 21st will be the topic for the July meeting, presented by CEO Allen Garner and PTV's Chris Loader. This major rail investment restructures the rail network between Melbourne, Werribee and Geelong and provides much -needed growth corridor services. It was federally funded.
The Metropolitan Transport Forum (MTF) is an advocacy group comprising
members from Melbourne metropolitan local government, associate members
representing transport companies, and participants from the State
Government and environment groups.
The MTF endeavours to promote effective, efficient and equitable transport in metropolitan Melbourne and improved transport choices by
- providing a forum for debate among members of the transport sector
- encouraging information sharing among member local governments
- representing local government viewpoint to decision makers
- fostering and sponsoring research on occasion
- seeking to influence transport policy and project implementation in the broader metropolitan interest
- working with local government counterparts
- enabling networking and collaboration between local and state government
- disseminating information on transport topics.
The MTF holds a regular monthly meeting on the first Wednesday of the month which includes a presentation on a transport topic of interest and relevance to local governments. Meetings are open to all, please contact email@example.com if interested to attend.
The year ahead
The year 2015 is now well underway, and promises to be an interesting and challenging year with a new state government and many transport issues exacerbated by a rapidly growing city. MTF is close to finalising an advocacy strategy and aims to work closely with state government and transport counterparts in the broad metropolitan interest.
Presentations for the early part of the year have been as follows. Presentations, and minutes which contain a summary of the presentations are on the website
- February 4th, Kerry Thompson, Chair Western Transport Alliance will present on transport issues and options in the west
- March 4th, Mark Wild, CEO of Public Transport Victoria, will talk about PTV's work and plans
- April 1st, Clement Michel, CEO Yarra Trams, is scheduled to present on coming initiatives for the tram network
- May 6th, Steve Manders, Jacobs Consulting, on Port of Melbourne and site options for additional container capacity
- June 3rd, Kim Dovey, Professor of Architecture and Urban Design at University of Melbourne, on intensifying Melbourne. .
Note also the MTF Officer Bearers and Executive for 2015 (as elected at the February meeting) are as follows:
Chair: Cr Tom Melican (City of Banyule)
Deputy Chair: Cr Martin Zakharov (City of Maribyrnong)
Treasurer: Cr. Jackie Fristacky (City of Yarra)
Secretary: Paul Hamilton (City of Casey)
Cr Glenn Goodfellow (City of Wyndham)
Cr Thomas Sounness (City of Glen Eira)
Cr Oliver Walsh (City of Darebin)
Clare Davey (City of Boroondara)
The MTF thanks retiring executive members of 2014 Cr Andrew Munroe(City of Whitehorse) and Cr Lenka Thompson (City of Moreland). The MTF also welcomes those new to the MTF executive Cr Thomas Sounness (City of GlenEira), Cr Oliver Walsh (City of Darebin) and Clare Davey(City of Boroondara). and looks forward to working with them in 2015.